NGD makes early repayment to Finance Wales following over 60% growth
London, 4 September 2014 - Next Generation Data Limited (NGD) which provides highly secure data centre facilities, has gone from strength to strength after being backed by Finance Wales as part of a £5 million mezzanine and debt co-investment package with others investors including Lombard in 2011 .
Since receiving the investment NGD have almost doubled its workforce at its Newport-based tier 3 data centre facility, which is one of the largest of its kind in Europe and staffed by highly-skilled specialists.
NGD provides a cost-effective alternative to similar UK facilities and since receiving investment it has grown considerably by securing major contracts with blue chip clients in the corporate, government and cloud computing sectors.
The company now provides services for global brands such as IBM and Wipro Technologies and has experienced over 60% growth in sales over the last three years, to the extent where NGD has been able to repay Finance Wales early.
Commenting on a successful three years, Nick Razey, Managing Director said: “Since taking on the funding three years ago to help with the build out of further custom data halls, NGD has experienced accelerated year-on-year sales growth and profitability.
“We now have contracts in place with blue chip technology multi-national organisations such as IBM, Wipro Technologies and UNIT4 to complement our original anchor tenants BT and CGI (previously Logica). We’re also winning a growing number of deals from locally based businesses including Newport’s Certus TG and Sir Terry Matthews’ AirVM.
“The support from Finance Wales has been excellent and their backing was a turning point for the company. Our ability to repay in full much earlier than forecast is testimony to our proven ability in meeting the specific data centre colocation and cloud hosting requirements of both major global organisations and growing UK businesses.”
Tier 3 data centres currently host around 80% of all non-mission critical applications, with demand continuing to grow.
Over the next few years NGD hopes to continue expanding its capacity for custom built halls for clients within the NGD facility and further develop its Channel Partner Program which has seen more than ten reseller partners join in the past year.
Portfolio Executive, Dave Perez managed the relationship since Finance Wales invested in 2011, said:
“Next Generation Data has created world-class facilities in Newport and is now an established UK supplier in the data centre market. It has made a significant impact in the Newport area, creating jobs opportunities and boosting the digital sector locally.”
NGD’s Newport facility has triple-skinned walls, bomb-proof glass, prison-grade perimeter fencing, infra-red detection, biometric recognition and ex-special forces security guards. It is also supplied by its own substation providing 90 megavolt-amperes of power - enough to supply a city of around 400,000 people.
About Finance Wales
Finance Wales was established by the Welsh Government in 2001 and provides commercial funding to small and medium-sized businesses throughout Wales to enable them to realise their potential for innovation and growth. The company is part of the Finance Wales Group and in 2013 -14 Finance Wales invested over £31 million through 201 debt and equity investments in growing Welsh businesses.
Finance Wales is currently investing a number of funds in more Welsh SMEs than ever:
- The £150 million Wales JEREMIE Fund which aims to encourage effective investment in small and medium-sized businesses. The Fund is backed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government and the European Investment Bank under the European Commission's Joint European Resources for Micro to Medium Enterprises (JEREMIE) initiative.
- The £40 million Wales SME Investment Fund which is backed by the Welsh Government and Barclays and invests in micro, small and medium-sized businesses.
- The £6 million Welsh Government-backed Wales Micro-business Loan Fund.
- The £10 million Wales Property Development Fund which makes loans to Small and medium-sized Welsh construction companies developing small-scale, non-speculative commercial and residential property.
- The £20 million Wales Capital Growth Fund - Launched in April 2014 and backed by the Welsh Government, the Wales Capital Growth Fund provides short-term loan funding to Welsh SMEs with a maximum repayment term of 18 months.
- The £7.5 million The Wales Technology Seed Fund - The five-year Fund is aimed at technology start-ups, university spin-outs and IP-rich companies to help them commercialise their innovative products and technologies and bring them to market.
- The Finance Wales Group is one of the UK’s largest SME investors which has invested over £328 million through more than 3,296 investments and manages funds in excess of £400 million.
About NGD Europe
NGD Europe is able to support High Density Environments for such power-hungry and intensive applications as Big Data, Cloud Computing, Super Computing and Grid Computing. It is ideally suited to large enterprise organisations wishing to consolidate their existing space- or power-restricted data centre operations, as well as service providers and systems integrators operating single or multiple racks. Capable of housing up to 19,000 server racks, NGD Europe is a purpose-built tier 3 carrier-neutral facility offering 750,000 sq ft of highly secure and cost-effective space. Racks can be arranged into self-contained and colocation data halls of various sizes all with independent services, resilient power and cooling systems. NGD Europe’s environmentally-friendly high level technology infrastructure has been designed to meet and exceed the ever increasing demand for more computing power. Its many features include a 180 MVA 100 per cent renewable energy power supply connected directly to the super grid via an on-site sub-station. There are also multiple on-site high-speed, low latency carrier interconnects.
For further information, visit www.ngd.co.uk
For further information:
Nick Razey/Simon Taylor
Next Generation Data
Tel: 01633 674 518
Tel: 029 2033 8149
Nigel Parker (for NGD media enquiries)
Strategic Public Relations Limited
Tel: 0118 948 7099